Mazda started to sell the 1st generation of the CX-5 SUV back in 2012. Now four years passed, the current CX-5 is still considered to be “not so outdated”, given the fact that nowadays most car models have an average life of 6 years for one generation.
However, Mazda decided to take a bold step, to overhaul the CX-5 for the 2017 model year, which means the 2nd-gen CX-5 is officially born today.
Obviously, the exterior of the 2017 CX-5 takes some clues from the latest CX-9, so does its interior too.
The biggest changes are in fact under its skin, here is what we have known from Mazda:
- Three engines: SKYACTIV-G 2.0L, SKYACTIV-G 2.5L (both are direct-injection gasoline engines); SKYACTIV-D 2.2L diesel engine
- 6-speed automatic transmission or 6-speed manual transmission, available to all 3 engine options
- i-ACTIV AWD system
- MacPherson front suspension and multi-link rear suspension
- Car body’s torsional rigidity is increased by 15.5%, compared to its predecessor (see our extensive list here)
- More ultra-high-strength steel is used: 1,180MPa steel on the A-pillar; 980MPa steel on the side sills and B-pillar
Here are the major specifications:
|2017 Mazda CX-5 (Development target figures)|
|Seating capacity||Five passengers|
|Overall length* x width x height||179.1 inch x 72.5 inch x 66.2 inch
(4,550 mm×1,840 mm×1,690 mm）
|Wheelbase||106.3 inch (2,700mm)|
|Engine||SKYACTIV-G 2.5 (direct-injection gasoline engine)|
|Transmission||Six-speed automatic transmission|
|Front suspension||MacPherson struts|
|Steering||Rack & pinion|
|Brakes (front/rear)||Ventilated disc / Discs|
|＊Without license plate holder, depends on market|