For those who are wealthy enough to afford the Audi’s flagship sedan (the A8), it looks like most of them directly opt for the long wheelbase version (A8 L). Therefore for the 2016 model year, Audi only offers the A8 L in the US market.
The 2016 A8 L offers a total of 4 engine options: the 3.0L supercharged V6 (3.0 TFSI), the 4.0L turbo V8 (4.0 TFSI Sport), the 6.3L naturally aspirated W12, and also the 3.0L turbo diesel V6 (3.0 TDI).
The biggest change is in the 4.0 TFSI Sport trim: compared to the last model year, the V8 engine gained another 15hp, makes the 2016 A8 L 4.0 TFSI Sport reach the 450hp mark. However, peak torque remains the same as the 2015 model (444 lb-ft @ 1,500 RPM).
Audi also puts some massage on the 4.0 TFSI Sport trim’s exterior, with enlarged front air dam, tweaked side profile in the engine bay section etc.
Editor’s comment: a mere 15hp increase will NOT make the 2016 A8 L noticeably faster (even in an instrument test). If it is tested to be faster, then it is mostly likely because of the overboost feature in the turbo V8 engine (Audi did not mention publicly, however I believe its turbo engine’s output is rated quite conservatively); or the ECU program is revised which provides a broader and flatter torque curve.
For more details, please check out the below press release.
October 26, 2015 | HERNDON, Virginia
– New Audi A8 L 4.0T Sport model achieves 450 hp through an enhanced 4.0T twin turbo V8
– Sport style exterior with muscular front fascia creates a striking presence on the road
– Interior features panoramic sunroof, acoustic glazing on windows and Alcantara headline
Featuring more power and enhanced luxury inside and out, the Audi A8 L 4.0T Sport model enters the Audi lineup for 2016. The variant of the Audi A8 flagship sedan boasts an enhanced 4.0T twin turbo V8 engine achieving an impressive 450 hp, an increase of 15 hp from the previous 4.0T model. The Sport model also includes a muscular front fascia with larger air intakes for a more commanding presence on the road.
The bumper of the A8 L 4.0T Sport has been lowered for a more performance-oriented look and the sides of the sedan have been given more prominent rocker panels to give the vehicle a wider stance. On the rear of the car, the lower bumper has been reshaped for a more dynamic appearance. The A8 L 4.0T Sport comes standard with 20” 5-double spoke wheels and is available with two additional 20” wheel options. Also available are 21” 5-arm wheels with summer tires.
The interior of the A8 L 4.0T Sport model has been designed for ultimate comfort. The standard Executive and Luxury packages offer 22-way Comfort front seats with Valcona leather and a sporty diamond pattern stitching. The front seats also include ventilation and massage functions. Also standard is an Alcantara headliner, panoramic sunroof and acoustic glazing on the windows creating an interior experience that is more luxurious than ever.
Innovative Audi driver assistance functions include Audi side assist with pre sense rear, which can aid the driver when changing lanes and helps monitors the traffic following the vehicle and Audi head-up display with navigation information. Also available is Audi adaptive cruise control with stop & go.
Summary of full equipment for the 2016 Audi A8 L 4.0T Sport model:
– An enhanced 4.0T twin turbo V8 engine achieving an impressive 450 hp in total, an increase of 15 hp from the previous 4.0T model
– Sport style exterior; completely new lower bumper and reshaped rear bumper; more prominent side rocker panels; more muscular shape and less chrome accents
– Standard 20″ 5-double spoke wheels with all-season tires; available 21″ 5-arm wheels with summer tires
– 22 way Comfort Sport seats with ventilation and massage functions
– Head Up Display
– Audi side assist with Audi pre sense rear
– Valcona leather interior with diamond pattern stitching
– Alcantara headliner
– Standard Executive, Luxury and Sport style packages
– Panoramic sunroof
– Acoustic glazing on the windows
Model year 2016 A8 L 4.0T Sport starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
(Excluding destination charge, taxes, title, options and dealer charges)
Model / MSRP
Audi A8 L 4.0T Sport / $90,500*
*Prices above exclude destination charges ($925), taxes, title, optional equipment, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.